Before anything else, you may have been wondering why Civil Engineers need planning software. I mean, why would they need planning software on designing, constructing, maintaining, developing, and operating infrastructure? Let me enlighten you for a minute.
Being a Civil Engineer brings about various responsibilities to handle on or off-site work, and moments of confusion with the number of projects to manage are highly possible. Planning software is helpful for most types of engineers for planning and managing their individual and collaborative projects.
Here’s the top 5 Civil Engineering Planning Software
- Primavera P6. Primavera Software is a management software developed by Oracle Corporation. It is useful for Civil Engineers in project management, scheduling, risk analysis, opportunity management, resource management, collaboration, and more.
- Microsoft Project. Microsoft Project is a project management software that’s developed by Microsoft. It is useful for creating schedules, assigning resources to tasks, tracking progress, managing the budget, and analyzing workloads.
- Project KickStart. Project KickStart is an easy-to-use management software developed by Experience in Software, Inc. It has various features that make project management more effective and manageable.
- Asta Powerproject. Asta Powerproject is used by over 80,000 schedulers worldwide for its cost-effective, easy-to-use, and other essential features. It was developed by Elecosoft and used by both small and large companies including general contractors, subcontractors, civil engineering firms, clients, and professional advisors.
- Microsoft Excel. Microsoft Excel of Microsoft Corp. is a spreadsheet used for calculation, as a graphing tool, pivot tables, and a macro programming language called Visual Basic for Applications. Its capability to handle equations and data tables and easier to interpret or modify data is a great help in creating Engineering models.
Professional Engineers use planning software to execute their projects very well. They use these various brands of software to improve the strategic execution, team performance of the stakeholders, and the quality of the project.
- Real-time collaboration. Most planning software has a feature that enables project stakeholders to communicate in a much easier and accessible way. It makes it easier to address issues and share ideas with everyone on the team.
- Easier document sharing. It is easier to share data or any document with the team at once. Planning software allows you to easily share documents with everyone on the team.
- Better data management. With planning software, it is easier to access data, and it’s easier to create a system that allows transparency on all the data shared with the team.
- Easier to assess future challenges. Planning software enables you to analyze and assess project risks, create forecasts, and tracking budgets are some of the biggest advantages of project management software.
- Helps in creating detailed reports. With all the data accessible in planning software, it is easier to gather all necessary information to integrate transparent reports of the project activities.
- Lessen cost and time spent. Well, as much as it aids in technical works, you can also save time and money with planning software. Planning is important for engineers for it will lessen the time spent on any mistake that could occur if there’s no planning.
If there are great advantages, there will always be disadvantages that lie along the way of every planning and execution. Here are a few of the disadvantages of planning softwares.
- Software subscriptions are costly. There could be some affordable softwares, and there are also advanced and pricey softwares. It is a disadvantage if you do not have enough budget to get this kind of resource.
- Unforeseen technical software errors. Technology may seem to be perfect but there are still chances of technical errors. Cybercrimes may not be common in this field, but we can’t disregard the chances of leakage of confidential information of the project.
- Issues that may occur during executions. Planning softwares are good for creating structured and futuristic plans for a project, but it does not hold the outcome of the execution.